If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Request An Appointment


Carolyn.pngBeep, beep, beep... Drifting peacefully through my dreams, a loud buzzing affronted my ears. As I jolted to consciousness, my mind needed about 5 seconds to take inventory of the situation. It was Saturday morning, my day to sleep in but the alarm was rudely interrupting my precious sleep. Springing to action, I leapt from my bed to turn the alarm off and return as quickly as humanly possibly to my former slumber. As I leapt through the air, my right foot caught on a blanket and instead of flying gracefully to my feet, as I had pictured in my mind, I landed with my full weight on my left knee. Searing pain shot through my leg and into my lower back. It was one of those moments where you actually see a bright flash of light in your vision and you instantly have a new appreciation for the phrase, "seeing stars."  As I crawled back to bed, with my lower back throbbing and my left leg numb, I remember thinking, "I can't believe I just did that to myself."

I was young at the time, so my body seemed to cope surprisingly well with the stress of the injury. If I pulled a stunt like that now, I don't think I would make it out of bed for a few days. When I woke up much later that morning, I felt a little pain but I thought it was just a little soreness from the injury that would resolve itself in a few days. Being young and foolish, I put off my adjustment thinking my body would bounce right back.

I can't remember the first time I felt the pain run down my leg. It must have been shortly after the morning I fell out of bed. I was functioning, so I thought it would go away with time. Well, go away by itself it didn't. When I finally told Dr. Miller what I had done to myself and asked to get adjusted he was shocked that I had not told him sooner. The first few adjustments were uncomfortable, as the area must have still been inflamed. Dr. Miller helped calm the muscle spasms with electro-stimulation and ultrasound. For the first few weeks I couldn't stand for more than 15 minutes without experiencing extreme discomfort in my lower back. It would start by feeling like a knife was going into my low back, then my leg would start tingling and if I wasn't able to lay down, my whole leg would go numb. I remember constantly shifting my weight between feet to try to ease the discomfort. There were times when I would be in line at the store and I had to leave without purchasing anything because the pain was just too bad.

It took a series of adjustments to address the damage I had caused. As I received regular adjustments the pain slowly eased. My ultimate victory was only a few short months later when I realized I could go shopping for as long as I wanted and stand in line pain-free. I have family members who have not had chiropractic care that have suffered from similar problems with their sciatic nerve and I wish I could say they have faired as well as I have. Today, I am completely symptom free. I am grateful that I was under Dr. Miller's care because I am afraid to think what I might be living with today if I had not been.

Dr. Miller is truly a healer. He always seems to know how to pinpoint my problem areas without me having to say anything. I still undergo regular treatment as I believe, from first hand experience, that it helps me live in a greater state of wellness. Oh and believe me, next time Dr. Miller is getting a call on his cell phone.

Thanks Dr. G!

~Carolyn Fell

Go to top of page